Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The same in rain and sun

It's not everyday that you get invited to a 99th birthday party! Last Saturday, mom and I were in the right place, as we got an invite, along with Scouten. I'm not going to confuse you with the particulars of the relation and so-forth. We are just going to say that Grandma Dorothy turned 99, Scouten was thrilled to bring her balloons, and we were all excited to go!

First off, we got to see the birthday girl!
100_7967


100_7968
One of Dorothy's friend's asked if we were from Wyoming. I thought she had us confused with someone else, but then she said, "with boots like that, she has to be from somewhere near there." I wondered what she would think if she knew they were a Christmas present from an Okie...

The cake was AMAZING - and I'm not just saying that because it had that fluffy whipcream frosting (which didn't hurt). It looked like a traditional cake on top - but underneath it was individual cupcakes. That's right, it looked good, and no one had to have the "cutting the cake" duty.

100_7973

The cake table was gorgeous as well!
100_7971

I wish I could have taken video of Scouten drinking the punch. As mom said, "It was like electricity was going through her body." Needless to say, I don't think she's a punch fan, not yet anyway. However the ice in the cups was crushed, and she munched on ice pretty much the entire time, and part of the way home.

Now for the best part - besides the birthday girl that is - THE PICTURES! Dorothy had pictures from the past out on a table. I tried to take pictures of the pictures (yes, you read that right), some of them turned out great, others, not so much. Here goes:

Dorothy said this was the orignal homestead - one mile from Palmer - I didn't get if it was a mile east or west - it could even be a mile south - all I can remember is "one mile and Palmer." I'll have to ask...Her grandpa is holding her in this one.
Homestead - One mile from Palmer

Dorothy's parents on their 50th Wedding Anniversary - this is in 1945.
Dorothy Ross' Parents on their 50th Anniversary - 1945

Dorothy on her own wedding day (sorry - I don't have a date).
Dorothy Ross - Wedding Day

Dorothy's Junior Class - this picture has brought up some debate in my house. I understood Dorothy was the girl in the top row on the very left, but I don't think that looks ANYTHING like her wedding picture. We also are having trouble deciding which two "Little Rascals" are on the bottom row left.

Dorothy's Junior Class

The last one is pretty faded - but my goodness it's AT LEAST 95 years old...I'm thinking more like 97. Either way, Dorothy as a child.

Dorothy as a child

If you are the same in rain and sun and would like to see the entire set of pictures, just click here.

We all had a wonderful time, Scouten even licked the plate before she left!

100_7991

2 comments:

Cj's World said...

You mean the cake didn't have frosting from a spray can? Weird. Dorothy's parents look absolutely ecstatic in their 50th pic. Lol! Awesome pics though. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Rhys, Thanks for sharing the blog. I didn't get to be there for my grandma's 99th birthday, but your blog made me feel like I was. It looked like a great party and your daughter is beautiful.

Melissa Ross Morrissette
(Don and Lucretia's daughter)